Welcome to Altamont, Kansas
small town pride
The Louis P. Gartner Recreation Area
Idle Hour Lakes
Voted #3 Kansas Best Campground -May 2011
"Visit Often and Stay Awhile"
Maps available of campsite areas, click on
10050 Ness RD (Spots 1-9)
or 10040 Ness RD (Spots 10-20)
3 ½ Miles South of Hwy 160 & Ness Rd
or 6 ½ miles north of Hwy 166 & Ness Rd
Lake: Latitude: N 37 degrees 08.348 min Longitude: W 95 degrees 17.394 min
Click for Bathymetric Map
Come spend time with us fishing,
bicycling, hiking, camping, and picnicking.
My son and I had a very pleasant outing this weekend at your facility.
The campgrounds were clean, the shower house was wonderful, and the lake was beautiful. Thanks again.
-- Richard and Billy Johnson,
Green Country Fly Fisher
I had the good fortune of spending the past weekend with my niece catching up on some quality family time and also enjoying your great facility there! Your community has to be commended on the way this area is run! The restroom/showers were spotlessly clean, and this doesn't happen without a dedicated staff to oversee and maintain a facility! As an avid bass fisherman, I had to try my luck in your lakes, and while the number of bass I caught were few, the size of two of your Kansas bucketmouths made the trip worthwhile. I saw the local law enforcement drive through several times, always with a smile and wave for the "kampers" which is a great comfort, knowing that they are always a step away should my niece ever need help! Too many times all the good things in life are just taken for granted without a word of thanks, but I just couldn't let this one go! Great job
to all the hard work, and workers that make your little slice of heaven special!! Oh... and I will be back,
looking for that bigger Kansas bucketmouth!
Kevin Johnson, Webb City Missouri!
"We are so looking forward to staying at the tv park again. It's the most beautiful location and the city employees made me feel most welcome." --Workamper Cheryl
"Thank you for all your help and going the "extra mile" which each one of you have done for us at one time or another! We loved the park. It was quiet and the lake gorgeous to wake up to each day. We would only stay here if we decide to come back to Amazon. No question about it!" --Workampers Mike & Kim
"To all considering staying in Altamont, Kansas:
This is a great place to stay. The town people bend over backward to make our
stay very enjoyable.
We would highly recommend this area to anyone thinking of staying in the area.
Charlie is the man that knows how to treat RVer's.
are clean and well kept,
with great fishing for bass and catfish
in their lake."
-- Workampers Milton & Carol
"One of the best campgrounds we have stayed at in five years of workamping.
The town folks are so great, furnished a cook out.
Charlie was always coming
out to check on the campers."
-- Workamper Bill
"I am writing this letter to let you know how much Rosie and I enjoyed
our stay at your campground. We stayed there for three months in 2008
while working in nearby Coffeyville, Kansas. If anyone is interested it
has plenty of room to walk and run. A nice lake full of fish and best of
all it is quiet. The man who takes care of the grounds does a good job
and is very helpful when you are in need. The girls in the office downtown
are super friendly. If your traveling through South East Kansas,
be sure to stop in Altamont and enjoy your stay."
Rich & Rosie
First, let me say thank you to the City of Altamont for maintaining this lovely campground! We find it so peaceful and pleasant here. I often brag about our good fortune in finding it while others at the worksite are complaining about their own campgrounds. We so appreciate the warm welcome we have received, and are enjoying the quiet tranquility of our time here.
-- Workamper Cynthia & Patrick
Idle Hour Lake facility there is absolutely wonderful. While I was there at Amazon I told everyone I could that that is the place to stay while at Amazon. I and all that stayed there were so impressed with the way we were taken care of. Anything from a broken breaker to security of the area,Charlie seemed to be there just when we needed him most. Thank You Charlie.
11 Shady Camp Spots - 20 Total Camp Spots
Before Project |
1st weekend open - 5/30/11
Chanute Boy Scouts
enjoy a weekend at the lake camping.
20 camping slots available to reserve.
Electricity, Water, Wi-Fi, Sewer, Dumping Station, Fire Rings, Swing Sets,
and Picnic Tables available.
Pull Through: 78' long x 30' wide (15' rock & 15' grass)
Camping Slots 150' from Water Front
Shelter area with electricity available to reserve - $10 per day.
The Idle Hour Lakes sit on 34 acres.
In 2011, we improved the west lake by adding a boat ramp.
We added another lagoon pond and a small restroom for the south side campers.
Camping has increased from 57 campers the first year to over under 2000 campers in 2011.
Angler traffic has also increased - take a day and spend it fishing at our lakes.
Reservations: Call 620-784-5612 Monday Friday, 8am-5pm.
Call 620-784-5582 after hours.
Or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
BATHHOUSE WITH SHOWERS
Laundry on site available for Workampers (CLOSED DUE TO THEFT UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE)
18 holes of Disc Golf & Horseshoe Pits
COME PLAY WITH US!
Built in a rustic, nature filled environment. 18 DGA Mach II holes with grass tee boxes around the
Louie P. Gartner/ Idle Hour Lakes. Many trees, but yet open areas, one water hazard try if you will or opt to go around. Wind can be a factor. Two side slope holes.
Signs Restrooms Camping
<300 = 5
300-400 = 3
>400 = 1
Lake: Latitude: N 37 degrees 08.348 min Longitude: W 95 degrees 17.394 min
1st hole Latitude: N37 degrees 08.513 Longitude West 95 degrees 17.193
The following rules are hereby established concerning the use of the
Louis P. Gartner Recreation and Idle Hour Lakes.
This Policy shall be in full force and effect from and after its passage by the
City of Altamont Lake Committee.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
UPDATED: OCTOBER 2, 2013
1. Pets must be kept on a leash and the owners are responsible for cleaning up after their pets and properly disposing of the waste.
2. No wood is to be cut or used without permission, except wood, branches, and limbs which have fallen and or loose on the ground. Camp fires must be extinguished by the person(s) starting the fire prior to leaving the campsite. It shall be unlawful for any person, except duly authorized city employees to take, injure, or disturb any live tree, plant, shrub, or flower, or otherwise interfere with the natural state of city property – recreation area.
3. All motorized vehicles must be operated on roads only. Vehicles may not be parked in any place that blocks or
impedes traffic or on grass areas.
4. Campers or equipment may not be left unattended for more than 8 hours.
5. No camper may be left for more than 7 days at a time. Upon the expiration of said 7 days the campers/residents must vacate the park and remain outside the park for at least 5 days. At the expiration of 5 days they may again enter the park and remain for another 7 day period.
6. Temporary work campers will be reviewed on a case by case basis; pertinent to the length of stay. Work campers will be charged $15.00 per night.
7. Price for RV hookup is $10.00 per day with electricity and water (for reservation or first come first serve). To reserve the shelter with electricity is $10.00. A notice of 48 hours must be given for cancellation of reservations for full refund; if less than 48 hours notice is given, only half refund will be returned. Primitive camping areas (no electricity) are free.
8. The speed limit in the park system of the Louis P. Gartner Recreation Area and Idle Hour Lakes is 15 miles per hour.
9. Quiet time will be from 10 p.m. until 8 a.m. Please do not leave your generators running during this time.
10. The official time for payment begins at 6:00 p.m. each day.
11. A dump station is available at the Louis P. Gartner Recreation area located at the north entrance drive.
12. No trash shall be left at the campsites. Place all trash in the dumpster. The dumpster is located at the Shelter area.
13. Payments and reservations may be made at:
| Altamont City Office 620-784-5612
407 S Huston Ave, Altamont, KS
Monday thru Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
|Altamont City Police Department
620-784-5582 After hours, weekends, & holidays
14. No bulk water is to be used by anyone unless they are camping. Bulk water is limited to filling RV
water storage only.
15. Absolutely no ATV’s allowed in the Louis P. Gartner Recreation Area and Idle Hour Lakes.
16. The city may post such rules and regulations, as are approved by the governing body, pertaining to the use of the Louis P. Gartner Recreation Area and Idle Hour Lakes in a conspicuous place in the park. Actions in conflict with these posted rules shall constitute a violation and fines may apply and/or being banned from the park.
17. This area is patrolled by the Altamont City Police Department daily.
18. The City of Altamont is not responsible for accidents, injury, theft of property, and etc.
19. No Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix breeds allowed.
20. No Permanent or Temporary dog pens allowed.
21. This is not a permanent housing situation. This RV park is for temporary recreational camping and seasonal work
campers will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Altamont City Lake
Largemouth Bass 5/day 13"-18" slot
Channel Catfish 5/day 15" minimum
Only State Fishing License Required - No Local Fee
Game Warden - Jared Eaton
2010 Sunset at the Lake
Camping is Fun!
FRISBEE GOLF LEAGUE NIGHT
Every Sunday at 5:00 p.m.
Location: Idle Hour Lake
Come join us for lots of FUN!
OCTOKAN Bicycle Riders
made Idle Hour Lake an overnight stop
on their journey through Southeast Kansas 10/21/10.
IDLE HOUR LAKE
YOUR NEXT STOP TO
CAMP, FISH, BICYCLE, HIKE AND PICNIC.